Household Chemical Waste should be properly stored and disposed of. Certain products are corrosive, reactive, explosive or toxic.
The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency sponsors one-day Household Chemical Waste collection events at no cost for Illinois residents to dispose of Household Chemical Waste. There are also two permanent locations in the state of Illinois open every weekend.
Avoiding the use of chemical products may be difficult. Here are a few tips to decrease your amount of Household Chemical Waste:
- Buy only the quantities you need.
- Keep products in the original containers.
- Store them according to label directions.
- Avoid skin contact and vapors.
- NEVER mix products. Violent chemical reactions may occur.
- If products exceed your needs, ask friends or charitable organizations if they have a use for them.
- ALWAYS dispose of these products in an approved manner or take them to a HCW collection.